Victor Alexander ("Vic or Jack") Arnott
            24 dec 1910 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
                                                                             - 27 sep 1994 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3rd son
of
William Henry Arnott (1873-1962) & Susan Ethel Waterfield (1879-1943)

married
17 april 1936 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Florence Myrtle "Myrt" Daniels
            28 jun 1913 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia  
                                                                            - 8 apr 2009 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
eldest daughter
of
Ernest William Daniels (1887 -1946) & Alice Adeline Holland (1895-1981)



















Florence Myrtle Daniels as a bride on 17 april 1936 with her bridesmaids,
Valma Mary Arnott (1919 -2004), Vera May Smith nee Daniels (1915-2006), Jean Alice Harris nee Daniels, 1919 - 2000


Vic & Myrt had three sons
Geoffrey David 14 dec 1938
Roderick Neil 29 sep 1943
Christopher Ernest 18 jul 1949

there are nine grandchildren
Craig (1966), Susan (1968), Neil (1970), Scott (1974), Stephen (1975),
Melinda (1975 -2000), David (1977), Julie (1977), Joanne (1982)







                                                                                                               The three 'boys' with their Dad   abt March 1973









                                                                                                                                                          
              
                      50th wedding anniversary 17 apr 1986     
                  Jack & Myrt with all of their 9 grandchildren  


                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                        Easter 1975 (photographer Christopher Arnott)
                                                                                                        Neil, Christine, Gaele, Myrt & Jack, Geoff, Craig, Susan                                                                                                                    & Jack's sister Valma (1919-2004)


Vic and Myrt loved family & were very proud of their sons, grandchildren & would love to know how the family is growing and including the next generation's thirteen great grand children
Eliza (1995), William (1997), Jack (1997),  Lachlan (1998), Benjimin (2002), Liam (2002), Roman (2004), Luca (2006), Riley (2006),
Lia (2006), Edward (2010), Beau (2010), Milla (2010)

Victor Alexander "Jack"  Arnott - aged 2
Eliza
Will
Jack
Lachlan
Ben
Edward  - b. 19 may 2010 
this photo taken june 2010 35 days
come back again as more photos of great grandchilren are to come
Victor Alexander Arnott & Florence Myrtle Daniels early days as children were typical of the cultural and social times of Australia in the early part of the 20th century.
Queensland became a State when the federation of Australia came into being in 1901. Brisbane was not incorporated as a city until 1902. The population of Brisbane at that time was 119,428 and with the droughts and economic depression of the 1890's left behind, Brisbane was set to 'boom". By 1921 the population had increased to 210,000, 325,890 by 1938. In 1925 over 20 small shires and municipalites were amalgamated to form the City of Brisbane governed by the Brisbane City Council. By 1930 several landmarks had been erected which began to form the identity of the city.  The Shrine of Remembrance in Anzac square became the city's war memorial. The construction of the Story Bridge has also become a monumental move during the Great Depression, giving jobless people of that time a source of income



The Arnott family lived in Ithaca St opposite the railyards. William Henry Arnott was working as an engine driver. Victor Alexander started school at Petrie Tce State School then moved on to Kelvin Grove State School, where he was old enough to go to 'the Big boys" school
Petrie Tce State School closed and become Brisbane State High School which moved in 1953 to its present day site
Kelvin Grove State School in 1938
The Daniels family lived away from the city on 'The Gemfields" of Queensland. The Gemfields are made up of several townships including Sapphire, Emerald, Anakie, Willows and Rubyvale.  Rubyvale has the largest walk-in underground sapphire mine in Australia

To visit the Gemfields, follow the highway up the east coast from Brisbane to Rockhampton, then the Capricorn Highway west from Rockhampton to the Anakie intersection (42km west of Emerald). Sapphire is just 10 k north from Anakie (on the main highway west) on a sealed road. Willows Gemfields is about a 45 minute drive west of Emerald along the Capricorn Highway. The Gemfields area is known for having unusually coloured sapphires. Just 40 mins from Emerald on your way to Longreach are the largest Sapphire fields in the world with 90% of the Sapphires on the market today originally coming from these fields? Sapphire is approx. 950km, by road, from Brisbane. (Capital city of Queensland, Australia)

The sapphire fields date back to 1875 when the first gem was found by a Railway Surveyor.  Sapphires come in every colour of the rainbow, that Sapphires called "parti-colours" as multicoloured and red Sapphires are Rubies. The first recorded find of sapphire in Central Queensland was at Retreat Creek in the 1870's - and it is said that you could "ground speck" - just walk around like an emu looking at the ground - and the glints of sapphire and zircons were all around! The red zircon was first thought to be ruby - hence Rubyvale. Sapphire and Rubyvale townships became prosperous and supported upwards of 1000 miners when the fields were at their best.

In about 1878  the first commercial production commenced, and an area of 80 acres was granted at Reward. By 1903, there were two major mining areas - at Sapphire and Rubyvale - occupied by a lot of Europeans as well as Aussies. Until World War I, the fields were exceptionally prosperous with a record production in 1907 of $81,000, the bulk of which went to the town of Idar (Idar-Oberstein) in Germany where 8000 inhabitants derived an income from cutting Anakie sapphires. The Russian Revolution in 1918 shattered one of our best markets for the deep blue sapphires. The icons of that country were studded with Australian sapphires by devout members of the Orthodox Church. After the war, buyers again appeared on the fields. 1920 saw yet another record production figure of $112,900, not to mention large quantities of unrecorded sapphires which were sold on the side. Miners who had worked and hoarded over the years sold accumulated parcels for very satisfactory prices On 16 April 1953 the Senior Geologist, H.G.S. Cribb, visited the fields. In his report, later published in the Queensland Government Mining Journal, he stated there were twenty-one men actively engaged in mining through the Anakie District - ten at Sapphire Township, seven at localities around Rubyvale and four at the Willows. From 1881 to 1960 the official records showed sapphire production was $1,340,000, a figure which would be incorrect due to the many gems being taken from the fields and not recorded. Miners on prospecting assistance often failed to reveal their true production figures for fear of losing the grant (as the prospecting assistance was called).

This area of Queensland is where the Daniels, Holland and Worrall famillies lived. "Our" Florence Myrtle's grandparents, William Henry Holland (1856-1934) and Georgina Worrall (1866-1964)  parents of Alice Adeline Holland (1895-1981) as well her father's (Ernest William Daniels 1887 -1946) parents, Herbert Eli "Eli"  Daniels (1858-1953) and Emma Lydia Bartlett (1856-1913) all resided in the area. May of the descendants from these families still live there.  Edith Shepherd nee Holland, sister of Alice Daniels nee Holland, was Post Mistress at Sapphire for many years. further family information on ancestry and descendants may be found at: From Whence We Came at World Connect

Florence Myrtle "Myrt" commenced her schooling at Rubyvale. By the time she was ready to embrace a working life her father had become Baker/Chef at MacDonalds Cake shop in Edward St, Brisbane. Myrt continued working there until her marriage in april 1936.

For Vic or Jack Arnott (depending how you knew him as a friend or family member) life after school years were completed and through the years of the great depression had taken the social and cultural turn which many were forced to follow through those years.  Different jobs, some temporary some lasting a little longer kept him going until he undertook to work for the Timer Industry near Cooroy in Queensland.

Cooroy is a tiny town north of Brisbane just 25km inland from Noosa. The township provides services to the surrounding timber and dairy industries. Cooroy started as a camp for timber workers in 1863. The railway came to Cooroy in 1891 and soon after the main street started to develop. The town relied on the sawmills and local dairies and was a prosperous town until the collapse of the dairy and fruit industries in the 1970s. Cooroy is a town in Queensland, Australia, located in the northern Sunshine Coast hinterland about 22 kilometres (14 mi) west of Noosa Heads. Cooroy's name came from Cooroy Mountain, which was originally called Coorooey, from the Aboriginal word for possum, kurui. A history of the Coory region may be found at: http://www.cooroy.com.au/ 

contributed by Qld Pics taken in 1912             a football match between Cooroy and  Nambour and the Cooroy Post Office
Image sourced from Picture Queensland, State Library of Queensland     These images are free of copyright restrictions.
Photograph: Linley Ball with felled Kauri log on Charles Ball's property near Cooroy Mountain, ca 1912 (courtesy of Maroochy Libraries' Heritage Library)
http://www.lowermillsite.com.au/2.html
From the time of their marriage in April 1936, until the outbreak of war in September 1939, Jack and Myrt lived  life in a similar fashion to how most  'young marrieds' did at that time. A miscarriage was followed in December 1938  by the birth of a son, Geoffrey David. The reminiscences of Myrt from those days were always happy and contented. Walks through the forest on Saturday night, carrying baby Geoff, to play cards with friends, chasing snakes in the front garden, friends and family to visit and make life 'fun' in amongst the working life of daily living. Life was vastly different for women in the 1930's than it is in this early part of the 21st century. Women stayed at home with family.

The outbreak of war in September 1939 changed life for the young Arnott family. Victor Alexander had been in the reserve navy and signed up for the navy at the outbreak of war. This meant Myrt and Geoff moved back to Newmarket in Brisbane to live with Myrt's parents Ernest & Alice Daniels.  They continued to live there during the war years until after the birth of a second son, Roderick Neil in September 1943 when Myrt with the two boys moved to Margate. Geoff started school at Humpybong State Primary School.  The school is situated across from the beach

Humpybong
The war years for Victor Alexander Arnott
Service Royal Australian Navy   Service Number B44
Date of Enlistment 5 Oct 1939  Locality on Enlistment NEWMARKET, QLD
Home Port/Port Division: BRISBANE, QLD
Date of Discharge 16 Apr 1946       Rank PO (TY)
Posting at Discharge HMAS Moreton

(Please note that at this date I"ve only managed to find HMAS Koopa, HMAS Coolibah and HMAS Echuca as some of the ships on which Victor Alexander Arnott saw service - so stay in touch for more to come)

At the commencement of the war the majority of the Australian Navy strength was serving at home in Australian waters. But that was to change quickly. Within four months of the outbreak of war Australian ships were scattered all over the world.

HMAS Moreton was a naval base located at New Farm, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. The naval base was originally HMAS Brisbane and was renamed HMAS Moreton in 1942.
HMAS Moreton was located at the corner of Merythr Rd and Gray St. New Farm. It was in commission until 1994 when it was moved to Bulimba. Brisbane. HMAS Moreton had its own wharves, warehouses, assembly areas. It was demolished in 1995. The site is now occupied by the Freshwater Apartments where a heritage display of HMAS Moreton may be found.

Victor Alexander started the first few weeks of his naval carrer at the Training Establishment which was located at HMAS MORETON (now demolished) in Alice Street adjacent to the Brisbane Domain. This had been the site where naval activities had been conducted since WW1, continuing through WW2 and was comprised of the standard large Naval Drill Hall, galley, sick bay, boat sheds with ramps and a small jetty etc

Victor Alexander Arnott continued navy service on several ships including those listed below

The SS Koopa was acquired by the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company Ltd. (formerly Humpybong Steamship Company ) in 1911.

It was purchased specifically to do the Brisbane - Redcliffe - Bribie Island run, and was extremely popular with tourists and day-trippers during the 1920's, 1930's, and part of the 1940's and 1950's. (Rod and geoff both remember their father taking them for a trip on the Koopa when it was back in commission on the Brisbane-Redcliffe-Bribie run)

During the Second World War, it was used by the Royal Australian Navy as a supply ship in
New Guinea waters. After the war, it went back to doing the Brisbane - Redcliffe - Bribie Island
run, but made its last trip in 1953.

The name "Koopa" was aboriginal for 'flying fish'. The vessel had a speed of 15 to 16 knots,
and could carry up to 1153 passengers. It was one of the most successful steam ships to ever
operate in the Brisbane district. The trip from Bribie to Redcliffe to Brisbane took about
3 hours (and vice-versa).

The passenger ferry Koopa had operated since before World War II in Moreton Bay, Queensland, running pleasure cruises. On 10 August 1942 the vessel was requisitioned for naval service. She commissioned at Brisbane on 14 September 1942 under the command of Lieutenant-Commander George W.T. Armitage, RAN (Emergency List).

Until late 1943 Koopa was used as a depot ship for combined operations training at Toorbul, Queensland, and then became the mother ship for Fairmile motor launches operating in the Milne Bay area of New Guinea.

After returning to Brisbane in February 1945 she was handed over to the Royal Navy on 26 July 1945 as a floating source of steam and electrical power. Koopa reverted to the RAN on 24 September 1945 and was returned to her owners, Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company Ltd, on 10 January 1947. for further information see: http://www.navy.gov.au/HMAS_Koopa

HMAS Echuca
Echuca was laid down by HMA Naval Dockyard at Williamstown, Victoria, Australia on
22 February 1941.[1] She was launched on 17 January 1942 by Lady Royle, wife of First
Naval Member Sir Guy Royle, and commissioned into the RAN on 7 September 1942

Echuca’s initial role was as an anti-submarine partol and convoy escort vessel along the
eastern Australia coast and in New Guinea waters.She stayed in this role from October
1942 until August 1944, when she was ordered to Darwin and attached to the United States
Seventh Fleet's Survey Group. She performed survey duties until the end of World War II,
when she was refitted with minesweeping gear in Brisbane and assigned to the 20th Mines
weeping Flotilla. The Flotilla was responsible for clearing minefields set up in the waters
of Australia, New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Echuca)

At the outbreak of World War II the naval base in Darwin was known as HMAS Penguin, the name changed and was formally commissioned as HMAS Melville on 1 august 1940. (http://www.navy.gov.au)

                                                   1937 international political tensions were such that another World War seemed inevitable. Britain                                                       needed harbours for her Eastern Fleet and selected Darwin and Cockburn Sound, south of                                                              Fremantle, Western Australia, as likely bases for supplies of fuel, water and stores. Later that year,                                                     HMAS Moresby Type24 Class Survey Sloop, Commissioned 20 June 1925. HMAS Moresby                                                              surveyed Darwin Harbour, and the results of this survey revealed that it could provide a fleet                                                               anchorage suitable for 28 ships and 17 small craft in the Middle and East Arms.

                                                   In 1938 the Admiralty sent an expert on harbour defences, Commander Bannister RN to Australia                                                      to  advise the Naval Board on necessary defence procedures. The Admiralty undertook to design                                                       the anti-submarine defences for Darwin while the Australian Naval Board initiated the construction                                                      of two BWVs that would be needed to lay the anchorage for the boom net and subsequently                                                               maintain it.             
                                                               (http://www.navy.gov.au/Fixed_Naval_Defences_in_Darwin_Harbour_1939_-_1945)

                                                   During the Second World War, the Japanese flew 64 raids on Darwin and 33 raids on other                                                              targets in Northern Australia (http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/darwinbombing/). The                                                     first bombs were dropped on Darwin on 19 February 1942 when Japanese aircraft were launched                                                     from four aircraft carriers in the Timor Sea. A second wave of bombers attacked later the same                                                          day. At least 243 people were killed and between 300 and 400 were wounded. Twenty military aircraft were destroyed, eight ships at anchor in the harbour were sunk, and most civil and military facilities in Darwin were destroyed. With Singapore having fallen to the Japanese only days earlier, and concerned at the effect of the bombing on national morale, the government announced to the rest of Australia that only 17 people had been killed.  Believing an invasion was imminent, approximately most of  Darwin’s civilian population were evacuated.  (The battles and heroes acclaimed during the war years in the defense of Australia's most northern port have largely been forgotten in subsequent years. Finding any data or memories is sketchy at best in any offical archive.)

The Allied death toll on that first morning was about 250 people. Between 300 and 400 were
injured. Twenty aircraft, eight ships and most of Darwin’s civilian and military infrastructure
were destroyed. Japan lost about 10 aircraft.

The Japanese forces had no intention of landing in Australia, in fact, they were about to
invade Timor and Java. The raids were designed not only to prevent an Allied counter-
offensive, but also to damage the Australian morale.

The air attacks on Darwin continued until November 1943, by which time the Japanese had
bombed Darwin 64 times. Northern Australia generally was also the target of Japanese air
attack, with bombs being dropped on Townsville, Katherine, Wyndham, Derby, Broome and
Port Hedland.

Local sources estimated that between 900 and 1100 people were killed. 77 aircraft and several ships. Many military and civilian facilities were destroyed. The Japanese lost about 131 aircraft in total during the attacks. For many years, government censorship limited coverage of the event to protect public morale in the southern states of Australia

Victor Alexander Arnott as senior NCO at  the Darwin base. He was Master of Arms prior to the conclusion of World War II, serving in this position which utilised his administrative skills, until his duscharge in april 1946. Family stories tell of his discharge with humour. Wanting to be at home with his wife and boys, and having enough points for discharge he couldn't understand why the navy needed him. The officer in charge didn't want to lose him, so wasn't signing the discharge papers. To get them signed Victor Alexander slipped the papers in a 'pile of to be signed". He caught a plane out of Darwin straight away and was home in Brisbane that night.

The Arnott family settled into a domestic routine, Jack obtained a permanent position with the
Commonwealth Public service in the Post Office. He remained with the Post Office until his
retirement in 1970. Jack and Myrt bought a home at 29 Alderley Ave, Alderley, Brisbane where
their third child, Christopher Ernest "Chris" came along in July 1949.  Geoff  had moved from
Humpybong School to Kelvin Grove School. With Rod starting school at Wilston State School,
Geoff once again changed schools, so he too could attend Wilston State School. When it was
time for Chris to start school he also attended Wilston State Shool. After primary school years
Geoff went onto attend Brisbane State High School, Rod to the new Mitchelton State High while
Chris was in the first year intake at Newmarket State High (as was my sister Cheryl Moore).

The years moved on as daughters-in-law came into the family delighting Jack and Myrt with more
family and grandchildren.

Jack and Myrt decided life in retirement should take a new
direction, moving to Golden Beach, Caloundra. Jack's brother
Ken with his wife Jess also lived in Caloundra.

Jack and Myrt stayed a few years near the beach before moving
back again to live out their years in Aspley, Brisbane Queensland.

Family Photos
At a family wedding in 1974, Jack and Myrt with sons Geoff, Rod,
Chris and wives, Gaele, Kathy and Christine.
and below
Geoff and his mother Myrt in 1995 at Anglican Church Grammar
School Chapel for the christening of Geoff's grand-daughter, and
Myrt's great grand-daughter Eliza Kate







The Koopa
HMAS Euchca
Wilston State School
showing old & modern buildings
Victor Alexander Arnott "Jack"  standing in middle of dinghy with some Navy mates
Brothers
Kenneth David Arnott (1916-1990) - Victor Alexander Arnott (1910-1996)

Victor Alexander Arnott
5th of 7 children to
William Henry Arnott & Susan Ethel Waterfield
1. Violet 1902-1902

2. William Maxted 1903 -1903

3. Ivy Flora 1905-1943 (never married)

4. Gilbert 1909 -1910

5. Victor Alexander 1910- 1996 (this page)

6. Kenneth David 1916 -1990
married in 1943
Jessie Margaret Baillie 1917-1977
Ken & Jess had 1 son Peter David Arnott

7. Valma Mary 1919 - 2004 (never married)


Ancestry of Victor Alexander Arnott
more information on each family may be found
at
WorldConnect -From Whence We Came

parents
William Henry Arnott (1873 -1962) & Susan Waterfield (1879- 1943)

grandparents
George Edwin Arnott (1833 -1929) & Eliza Clara Maxted (1837 -1908)
David Henry Waterfield (1838 -1898) & Flora McLardy (1839 - )

great grandparents
Ann Arnott (1815 -1887)
married John Mossop in 1855
George Maxted (1791-1859) & Jane Evans (1803-)
Joseph Waterfield (1805 - 18880  & Maria McArthur (1802-)
Alexander McLardy (abt 1800-) & Flora McConnal (abt 1803-)

Great grandparents
David Arnett (1779 -1846) & Ann "Nancy" Hudspith (1786-1848)
George Maxted (1762 -1848) & Elizabeth Sandum (1765-)
Evan Evans & Jane Morgan
William Waterfall (1764 -1834) & Susan Delahoy (1768 -1809)
William McConnell & Margaret MacDonald

Great Great Grandparents
Henry Arnett (1742- ) & Margaret
Alexander Hudspith (1742-1826) & Mary Laidler (1735-1829)
George Maxted (1734 -17910 & Sarah Hinds (1735 -1787)

Great great great grandparents
Edward Hudspith (1708-1775)-  & Susanne (abt 1710-1785)

Great great great great Grandparents
Edward Hudspith (1661 -17090  & wife unknown name
Robert Maxted (1703-1747) & Ann Moses (1703-1748)

5x great Grandparents
Cuthbert Hudspith (abt 1640 - )  & wife unknown name
Robert Maxted (1663 -)  & Jane Emerson (abt 1665 -)

6x great grandparents
Robert Maxted (1636 -) & Sarah (abt 1639-)
Robert Emerson (abt 1640-) & Martha Fowler (abt 1647 -)

7x great grandparents
Robert Maxted (abt 1603) & wife


Florence Myrtle Arnott
eldest of 5 children to
Ernest William Daniels & Alice Adeline Holland
1. Florence Myrtle (this page)

2. Vera May 1915 -2006
married in 1937
Harold Smith
Harold and Vera had 2 children
Beverley Vera, & Kenneth Norman Smith
2 grandchildren Brent & Merrick

3. Jean Alice 1919 - 2000
married (1) Jim Phillips 1917-1942
married (2) Reginald James Harris
Reg & Jean had 2 children
Greg & Alison Harris
3 grandchildren  Brendan, Matthew & Luke

4. Reginald Ernest 1922 -
married in 1949
Noela Spencer
daughter of William Spencer & Violet Lillian Ferndale
Reg & Noela had 4 children
Suzanne, Carolyn, Paul, & Glen Daniels
9 grandchildren
Brett, Kelly, Nicole, Mark, Adam, Kylie, Jason, Emily & Louise
1 great grandchild - Harrison

5. Leonard Stanley 1926-1999
married in 1953
Cecily Alice Craig
daughter of
Leslie Gordon Craig & Katherine Bennington
Len & Cec had 3 children
Vicki, Peter & Ross Daniels
and 3 great grandchildren
Jonathan, Malanie, Molly


Ancestry of Florence Myrtle Daniels
more information on each family may be found
at
WorldConnect -From Whence We Came

parents
Ernest William Daniels (1887-1946)
                                                        & Alice Adeline Holland (1895-1981)

grandparents
Herbert Eli Daniels (1858-1953) & Emma Lydia Bartlett (1856-1913)
William Henry Holland (1856-1934)  & Georgina Worrall (1886 -1964)

great grandparents
William Benjamin Daniels (1836- ) & Sarah Emily Brown (1831 -)
Henry Bartlett (1825 -) & Ann Wall (1841 -1902)
Thomas Holland (1839 -) & Ann Moult (abt 1840-)
Thomas Worrall (abt 1840-) & Elizabeth Galilee (abt 1840 -)

great great grandparents
James Daniels (1798-)  & Mary Summerfield (1798 -1872)

Great great great grandparents
Joseph Daniels (abt 1756 -18560  & Phoebe Carter (1771 -1863)

Great great great great grandparents
James Daniel (abt 1746-) & Ann Myles (abt 1748)
William Carter (1738-) & Elizabeth Walker (1740-)

5x great grandparents
James Daniel (1725-) & Elizabeth Dunton

please note that buttons coloured WHITE are indicating pages which are not yet published to the web. Blue and orange buttons will link you to those pages
This page was created by Gaele Arnott nee Moore
email: gaele.arnott@gmail.com

Genealogy & family history are ongoing 'growing' projects. There are always corrections, changes and additions to be made as more family become involved. More family pages will be added to this website as time and the future allow. I welcome and look forward to your input

Myrt with Chris - 1949
This garden where they are seated was filled with petunias, the first time I met my future mother-in-law
Myrt and grandson Craig - April 1967
Florence Myrtle Arnott nee Daniels (1913 -2009)
with her grand daughter
Melinda Elizabeth Leigh Arnott (1975 -2000)
at birthday time on 17 September 1980